5.20.2013

Concrete Stool - Mostly a Failure

This was one of the cheaper and more frustrating projects. Autumn forwarded me these instructions, and the project looked simple enough.

The challenges all rose from the concrete. I couldn't get the first stool out of the bucket and had to hammer on the bucket until the cement started to crumble. I added about an inch too much to the second stool, so that it was top-heavy and convinced me it would tip over and crush someone's foot

One of the failure stools in the back right.
Taking the advice from another HomeMade Modern howto, I cut a bucket down to allow the stool legs to spread out further for more stability. This, however, made it harder to pull straight up out of the bucket and increased the likelihood of the dowel becoming a lever that would pry up a bit of concrete.

Since I was just pouring a little concrete out of the bag each time and not using it all at once, each stool has a slightly different ratio of gravel to cement. I tried to sand the edges of some of the voids near the sides or tops of the stools to prevent clothing from snagging on it, but this is just a Sisyphean task of sanding, having it crumble a little, exposing more cement edges, and then sanding again.

The concept is sound, but for it to be actually useful I need to invest in countertop-grade concrete and figure out a method of removing the stool from the bucket easily and safely.

1 comment:

my nard said...

spray some pam in the bucket